August 5

Literacy Page

At the end of Term 1, we wrote 500 word stories and entered them into the Write for Fun competition. Here are some of our stories;

Title-less

I am at school, we have just come back from morning tea break and Miss Baker shouts out with her booming voice, her wind blown hair and her mountain high heels, “Get your writing books out!” My heart starts to sink, I can feel my head flopping down onto the table. Miss Baker booms, “We are writing a short story of 500 words.” I raise my head to the easy task, I talk to the person sitting next to me. “This is so easy, since I’m so talented I’ll be able to finish this task before anyone can say, I’m finished!”

He looks at me as if I just swore but I just smile and continue talking! I was half way through my conversation when Miss Baker interrupts me and says, “Get a title everyone and get cracking.” I’m scanning through my mind for a good story title, people have all ready finished their first page and I haven’t even written a word. I am starting to feel anxious, then I have the torture of my life. Miss Baker sees that I haven’t written anything and sends me outside and straight into Mr Gorman’s class.

Mr Gorman is talking about how it was back in Yarrawonga when he was a young lad and  sang, “Ooooh Ned, you’re better off dead…..” I start to feel weak when Mr Gorman says, “Come sit down Lad.” I feel like I’m in the country in the Mr Gorman time with Mr Gorman singing a most irritating song.

Miss Baker says get your work done with an evil stare, I just can’t bear to look at her so I turn my head with a bad feeling in my stomach that I’m never going to get it done. I ask Mr Gorman if I can search up good titles for a 500 word story, but Mr Gorman just says, “Keep trying, I know you will find one when you’re ready to try harder.”

I think and think for exactly 27 minutes before the bells goes for lunch, I’m so relieved to get out of this classroom. Miss Baker comes up to me and says, “Well?” I lower my head to give her the indication I didn’t get anything done, she doesn’t seem to understand. I seal my lips hoping to just go outside and chill, Miss Baker seems to have read my mind and says, “Take this out with you, you can finish it there!” I am relieved that she is not angry but I can see she’s disappointed. I head outside and as I was walking I have a great idea, I will do a story about how a kid can’t find a good story title. I zoom through my work, handing it up to Miss Baker who almost faints but Miss Vivian catches her just in time. She says that was brilliant and l just probably needed time to think of a great story like that, we both giggle but we keep it secret!

By Cara

Writer’s Festival

Take time to read the narratives below. We have all become exceptional writers and have improved so much since the start of the year! Some of us are destined to be published authors in the not so distant future. Our most recent task was to write a narrative between 500- 750 words, with the best 3 winning the prize of attending the Writer’s Festival at the end of the month. Who would you pick to go?

Luke                                                         Scarlett                                            Bianca

Ed                                                             Alyssa                                               Michaela

Katherine                                              Lara                                                   Amy

Max                                                         Lottie                                                 Georgia

Will                                                          James                                                Angus

Millie                                                       Lili                                                      Zac

Ben                                                          Jonty                                                  Jemma

Spelling

Thanks everyone for your responses to the below task. Some of you wrote some really interesting sentences so well done!

Choose ONE word from the list below. Write the definition for your word and put it in a sentence (by posting a comment).

Pick ONE word from this list: 

• siege
  • victim
  • settler
  • abandon
  • hostages
  • imprisioned
  • armour
  • betrayed
  • sentenced
  • heroism
  • outlaw
  • squatter
  • notorious
  • blameless

This must be completed by Friday 9th August.

48 thoughts on “Literacy Page

1. Alyssa Bendinelli

My word is imprisoned. Meaning- Put or keep in prison or a place like a prison. Sentence- Ned Kelly was imprisoned because of the crimes he committed and the horrible things he did.

2. Amy

BETRAYED:
    Meaning-
    To be false or disloyal.

Sentence-
    It came as a shock that he was betrayed by
    his own loved ones.

3. Charlotte

OUTLAW: a lawless person or habitual criminal, especially one who is a fugitive from the law.

“One time they were watching a movie on television featuring an outlaw who blasts away with a gun in each hand.”

– Lottie xx

4. Will Heanue

Sentenced:

Dictionary meaning:
    1.) Declaration of punishment to be inflicted on condemned criminal.

2.) state of (criminal), declare condemned

Sentence:

Ned Kelly was sentenced to be hanged at the Old Melbourne Gaol in 1880.

5. jemma17712

My word is Victim

1) meaning: someone who has been wronged

2) Sentence:I was a victim of a unbelievable crime

6. Bianca

NOTORIOUS:

Dictionary Meaning…
    1) Famous or well known, typically for some bad quality or deed.

2) Having and exceeding bad reputation. ” a notorious gangster.”

Sentence…

Back in the old 1850’s there lived many notorious bush-rangers throughout the years.

7. Angus

My word is notorious.
    1) The definition of this word is someone that is well known especially unfavourably.
    2) Ned Kelly was a notorious bushranger in the police’s eyes.

8. Georgia

MY WORDS: Blameless

MEANING:

Free of blame or guilt; innocence

SENTENCE:

As I looked over at the accused person for this crime, the witness with her blameless face stared at me in innocence.

9. Lara

Word- Armour

Defenition-
    A protective piece, usually made of metal that protects you during fighting.

Sentence-
    Ned Kelly wore his famous ARMOUR during fighting.

10. bhardy02

Word: Hostags

Meaning: Hostages are peole traped in a bulding of some sort and usually it is because they don’t want them to interfere with thier criminal actions or because they wan’t the attention from the authorties

Sentance:The dramitised hostages were left in the shambels of the once marvouls grand entrance of the windsor hotel after thier captuers some of the most vitious gansters ran as paranoia got to thier heads and left because the police craved on bring them alive or dead could be pursuing

1. baker2012 (Post author)

Love the enthusiasm Ben, however make sure you use some punctuation e.g. Commas, full stops etc.

11. Max Roker

SIEGE- The surrounding and blockading of a city, town, or fortress by an army attempting to capture it.

SENTENCE- The army were going to siege the whole city for centuries but protests got over the line.

12. zmolino

my word is armour.
    Meaning: Any defensive covering esp that of metal, chail mail etc.
    Ned Kelly had many bullet dints in his armour from the last shoot out.

13. James

WORD: Armour.
    MEANING: protective covering made of metal and used in combat.
    SENTENCE: The captain wore his fortified armour while walking into battle.

14. luke

Word= Notorious

meaning= A infamous, outrages well known person

sentence= The notorious super star walked out the door while being blinded by the light of the cameras.

15. siobhan beaney

My word is amour:Armour

MEANING: protective covering made of metal and used in combat

Sentence: Ned Kelly wore Armour at the finale shoot out in Glen rowan.

16. scarlett Anderson

My word is ARMOUR.

DICTIONARY MEANING: Armour, a protective object that prevents damage inflicted to an object.

SENTENCE: Ned Kelly’s Armour is made from plough disks that weighs 44 kilograms.

17. Millie

Victim

Meaning:
    A person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action.
    A person who is tricked or duped: “the victim of a hoax”.

Sentence:
    No one here would want to become an innocent victim.

18. Ruby George

MY WORD: Settler

the world settler means someone who has come from another place and has then brought a block of land that is called a settler

19. Lili

VICTIM:

A person who suffers from a destructive or injurious action or agency.

SENTENCE:

There were many victims involved in the car that crashed into a tree.

20. Katherine Cannata

Victim
    Is a person who has suffered from a distructive or injurious action.

Sentence
    There lots of victims in the car accident last night.

sorry my date and time on the computer is wrong.

21. David Aylmer

Millie,

‘The Best Christmas’ was a very interesting story which kept me reading right to the end. I’m glad there was a happy ending on Christmas Day!!!!

Just remember to read over your story to check the spelling and grammar before publishing it!

Well done….DAD

22. Suzanne

Loved your story Amy! I liked how you created suspense. I wanted to keep reading to see how it ended. Keep trying to use more descriptive words. Keep up the good work.

23. Nadia

A very detailed and enjoyable peice of writing Lara! The way you described the characters and the setting makes me want to take a trip to wonderland! Always check your spelling and grammar as I found a couple of mistakes. Continue to enjoy writing your stories.

24. Sue Ryan

That was a fantastic story Georgia! You used really descriptive words and I was able to visualise what it would have been like in that haunted house, Well done!

Love Mum xox

25. Heather Heanue

I really enjoyed your story Will, the opening paragraph set the scene for an interesting adventure ahead. Your use of descriptive words made the story come to life. The story flowed well but perhaps further details about how characters were feeling could have added another dimension to your story.

26. siobhan beaney

i really enjoyed Ed’s story the ending was very well set out and the words he described the word and it was very enjoyable to read it god job.

27. Andrew Coloretti

A lot of suspense and mystery. A couple of grammatical errors however, The story flowed and kept my interest to the very end. Well done Lili xo

28. scarlett Anderson

Well done Scarlett, that was a great story and I am so happy to see you putting your love for magic onto paper! Try not to ‘write how you speak’ saying ‘like’ before certain words, but other than that your descriptions were excellent and I loved every moment of it. Love Dad.

29. Grace

Luke, I really enjoyed your story as it was not your usual style of action and drama!! It was quite deep and meaningful. I liked the way you built up the story by making the characters’ lives come to life. Well done Lukie!!
    Mum XX

30. Denise Birrell

I enjoyed reading your story Angus about your journey to the Olympics!
    I would have liked to read more about how you felt after winning the gold medal after such a big build up.
    Well done!
    Mum

31. Georgie

Katherine wrote a cute story about the Smurfs. I went through it with her and checked some of her grammar. I enjoyed the part about how she involved her family in the story. God help us if the Smurfs did really show up at our house one day! Hope you enjoy the story too!

32. Maurice De Carli

Good work James. Was kind of a spooky story. Did Tom want to be there or on the outside – maybe you could have elaborated on this. The ending had me puzzled. Do you have a next instalment in mind?

33. Daniel Pote

Good opening to your story Jonty, it had a lot of feeling. Be careful not to write as you speak.
    Keep practicing.

Dad

34. Brenda Pote

I really enjoyed reading your story Jonty. You have a wonderful imagination & when it comes to writing a story you really need to plan a little better & use punctuation much more often.
    Keep on trying.
    Love Mum

35. Bianca Vains

Well done Bianca, great story. I enjoyed reading it as it was very descriptive and I could understand why Serena wanted to stay. Perhaps just re-read it and check your grammar before publishing.

Dad.

36. Fiona Posar

I am very impressed by Michaela’s writing and the way she described the scenes of the story. I think she needs to work on her grammer a bit more, but i thought her story was very well written

37. Luchia

Great story Lottie. I liked your use of descriptive words. They helped to give me a very clear picture. I am glad that Peter was ok in the end! Happy endings are good : )

Great work!

Mum/Luchia

38. andrew molino

great story zac. when i started reading the story i was realy wanted to know what hapened to tylor and his freinds . keep working on your story writing. well done .