June 16

Horrendo’s Curse Reviewed by Louis Pirie

Horrendo’s Curse is an adventure story set in a pirate village. As a baby, Horrendo is cursed to only say good things. Horrendo and the children of the village go to a school to learn how to survive with pirates. When all the boys turn 12 they get captured by pirates. Horrendo goes on the pirate ship to be with Rascal, his friend. The Captain finds the map of the Blue Devil’s treasure. The trip is long, rough and windy. Find out if Horrendo and friends escape the pirates, find the treasure, and break Horrendo’s curse.

The main characters in Horrendo’s Curse are Horrendo, Rascal, Pest and Wicked. Horrendo is kind and compassionate. He cares for others because of his curse. He is adventurous and never gives up. Rascal is mischievous and is Horrendo’s best friend. Horrendo couldn’t trust him at first but after the long and unforgettable journey, they were best friends. Pest is Bombastics loyal, pet frog and has a very big interest in rum. His attraction to rum ends up saving the boys in the most peculiar way. Wicked is a selfish pirate and only cares about himself. His greedy attitude does not help him at all and makes him even more unpopular!

My favourite part of the book is when Horrendo sacrifices himself to be with his friend Rascal. This part appealed to me because it shows the selflessness of Horrendo and to see how far he would go to save his friend. I enjoyed this book because it shows how one nice person stands out, and many others follow and do the same. I feel this way because there may be the same optimistic people like Horrendo in the real world. It is a real page turner.
I think this book is appropriate for children aged 9 – 13. The rating I gave was very high, 9 ½ out of 10. The long chapters make it easier to read, without stopping so you you can enjoy the book. It is a book for fluent and advanced readers. I think it is one of the best books Anna Feinberg has written.

Posted June 16, 2016 by baker2012 in category Uncategorized

1 thoughts on “Horrendo’s Curse Reviewed by Louis Pirie