August 21

Sadness of War by Olivia M

It was a stormy Thursday morning on the 17th of September in the city of Moscow, Russia. Grandma Sina and I lay in our beds in our tiny rundown cottage, a shiver ran down my spine as the thunder hit my bedroom window.  I then heard Grandma’s footsteps come towards my room, as the old wooden floorboards creaked. She pushed the door open and with a quiet, scared voice she said, “Darling come and watch the news I’m extremely worried.” Grandma left with a worried face while I quickly jumped out of bed and scurried out to the lounge room. Whilst Grandma sat nervously on the couch watching the television, my heart dropped as I heard  that there was a war happening right that minute, in fact right that second so close to the cottage, so close I could peer through the window and see it happening in front of my eyes.

As Grandma and I sat there crying, frozen in fear, someone was heading towards the cottage. I could hear their footsteps in the corner of my ear. Then suddenly, “Knock, knock,” by the loud knock on the front door. You could feel that whoever was on the other side of the door, they didn’t seem happy.

I clutched onto Grandma’s arm and as we waited for another movement, the intruder crept away onto the dangerous street. With relief Grandma and I ran to our bedrooms and started packing all of our belongings whilst in the distance we heard gunshots and bombs dropping, we decided we had to escape.

About an hour later, Grandma and I found ourselves pushing our way through the bushes with loads and loads of luggage under our arms, trying to find a safe hiding spot away from the danger. With dirt all over our bodies, scratch marks from sticks which bled and a war behind us, I really don’t think anything could have been worse.  Ahead I saw a ship come in to the shore of the beach and thought it could be time for Grandma and I to escape.

But before I could even tell Grandma, she was no longer in sight. I looked to my left, to my right, in front and behind but there was no Grandma Sina to be seen. I sat on the peak on the highest hill, watching over my town being destroyed.  At that point, the large ship was about to leave the harbour. The captain yelled out to me, “QUICK, QUICK little girl it’s either now or never.”

Not wanting to leave grandma, I knew I couldn’t do anything else so I ran towards the ship, crying so hard and I jumped onto the ship just in time. I sat at the window seat looking out to try and spot grandma but I couldn’t see her. After two weeks, we arrived in London. As I got off, I felt a soft tap on my shoulder and I turned around and there she was, my Grandma!

Posted August 21, 2015 by baker2012 in category Uncategorized