Grandparents Interview

My grandma is from town called Eldoret in north western Kenya. My grandma has been taught how to make roti, Palau and all kinds of stews. In my grandma’s culture there are all kinds of traditions such as the something called the rite of passage which is to do with passing from being a child to being an adult. This happens for both boys and girls and involves the girls getting together with older women and boys getting together with older men and talking about things to do with being grown up and having responsibilities. In my grandma eyes she thinks that the most important invention was the computer.

By Jemma

Last Friday I interviewed my Mama on Grandfriends Day. My Mama’s family origin is English and Irish and one of the recipes that has been passed down each generation is Roast Lamb. One of our family traditions is family celebrations where our whole extended family get together. The invention that is the most important to my Mama is the computer. This is because it holds lots of information.

By Ruby

Last Friday, I interviewed my Nonna on Grandfriend’s Day. My nonna’s family origin is Italian and some of the foods that have been passed on through generations are: homemade pasta, pitzelle (a traditional Italian biscuit), tiramisu, more traditional biscuits and much more. Some of our family traditions are: getting together for Easter, Christmas and birthdays and having a ‘tomato sauce making day.’ The invention that was the most important to my Nonna in her time was the mobile phone. This is because in her time, you could reach people easier and much quicker than having to send a letter.

By Lara

I interviewed my Grandpa on my dad’s side who is from England. They came to Australia in the 1970’s. A food that has been passed down is roast lamb and sticky date pudding. One of our family traditions is we all get together on special occasions like birthdays and Christmas and Easter. The most important invention to him was the computer because it change the way he lived.

By Ed

On Tuesday the 29th of October 2013, I interviewed both my Nana and Nunu on my Mum’s side. My Nana immigrated from Malta to Australia with her family in 1962, when she was 11 going on 12. My Nunu immigrated from Malta to Australia with his family in 1965, when he was 16. Some of the foods that my Nana and Nunu cook that are tradition to Malta are; Ravioli, Pastii, Stew-fart, Rabbit, Macaroni, Uh (type of Maltese biscuit), and Galletti. A cultural event that my Nana and Nunu still perform is making Figoli at Easter time for everyone. My Nunu thinks that the most important invention since he was born is the invention of the computer. My Nana on the other hand is not quite sure.

By Bianca

Last Friday I interviewed my Nanny Chris and Nanny Posar. My grandpa’s family origin is Italian and his father taught him how to grow fruit and vegetables well. Many salad recipes have been passed down the family. My great grandma was Irish so she celebrated St. Patrick’s Day very seriously. Both sides of my family celebrate Christmas and Easter every year. My grandma believes the most important invention since she was born is vaccinations for babies to stop illnesses such as polio, measles and TB.

By Michaela

This Tuesday I interviewed my Nonna. My Nonna’s family origin is Italian. One of the family recipes that has been passed down through the generations is pasta. One of our family traditions is to celebrate Christmas with our extended family. The most important invention in my Nonna’s lifetime is the TV. This is because the TV lets everyone watch many different types of shows such as comedy, drama and romance.

By Max

Last Friday I interviewed my Nonna on Grandfriends day. My family origin is Italian and some of the family recipes they have passed down through the generations are homemade Pasta, homemade pizza, Pitzelle (A traditional Italian Biscuit), tiramisu, homemade Traditional Biscuits etc… Some of family traditions are coming together for Christmas, Easter and Birthdays and we used to make tomato sauce when my Nonno was around. The invention that was the most important in my Nonna’s lifetime is coloured Television (invented by Peter Goldmark).  This was important to my Nonna because she loved TV and when coloured TV was invented my Nonna was thrilled with excitement.

By Lili

Last Friday, I interviewed my Grandma, Grandpa and Nana on Grandfriends Day. My dad’s family’s origin is Irish and on a Sunday, the family make a lamb roast, in fact, the same recipe my family use. My mum’s family’s origin is English with a family recipe passed down through the family being shank soup as well as battered fish. A family tradition on my dad’s side was Gaelic Football, being an Irish background and making tomato chutney as a family. On my mum’s side, a traditional event that my grandparents experienced was an event called Toss the Caber, but I am not quite sure what it involves! An invention that has impacted to my Nana and her family was Computers, Television, Sliced bread and mobile phones. These inventions changed their lives helpfully with the impressive technology that the world has developed. This is also the same with my grandpa and grandma and their reasons.

By Georgia