Hero or Villain?

For the past 5 weeks we have been studying bushrangers. They have both fascinated and baffled us, but we all agree life in Australia was hard in the times of bushranging and we can understand why some people chose this lifestyle.

Now there has been much debate between fellow classmates about the great Ned Kelly. Some of us believe that Ned was a villain through and through, killing police and stealing his way through life. On the other hand some of us believe that Ned was born into a life of crime and needed to steal to help his family after his father’s death, therefore making him a hero.

So what do you think, is Ned Kelly a hero or villain? 

Please leave us a post and let us know what you think and why….

130 Comments on Hero or Villain?

1. Patrica beaney
    August 13, 2013 at 8:35 am (5 years ago)

I think Ned kelly was a villain because he killed lots of people

2. chris beaney

a think ned was a hero because he saved a boy from drowning

3. paul beaney
    August 13, 2013 at 8:37 am (5 years ago)

i think Ned Kelly was a hero and a Villain because you did good things and bad things

4. annette anderson
    August 13, 2013 at 8:39 am (5 years ago)

I think he was a villain. Yes I can see why at the time he was romanticized as a hero but on balance there is enough bad stuff that he did that it is hard to see a few good things outweighing the murders.

5. james
    August 13, 2013 at 9:07 am (5 years ago)

Hero: gave food to the poor
    Villain: shot police men and stole horses

6. lili de carli
    August 13, 2013 at 9:09 am (5 years ago)

villain: he broke the law, more of a criminal

7. emma de carli
    August 13, 2013 at 9:10 am (5 years ago)

villain: he killed people and robbed banks which was against the law

8. maurice de carli
    August 13, 2013 at 9:22 am (5 years ago)

villain: because he broke the law

9. David Selex
    August 13, 2013 at 10:05 am (5 years ago)

Ned Kelly was a murderer. He killed in cold blood and in my opinion should be considered a villain. However, Kelly was clearly smart and a great thinker. An example of this intelligence could be his plate armour, simple and effective to a point. Modern academic understandings offer a different side to the Kelly gang and the political and social position of the day… and romantic notions of courage, something Kelly certainly had plenty of, have made him the most iconic bushranger in Australian history.

10. Nadia Tomarchio
    August 13, 2013 at 10:07 am (5 years ago)

I believe Ned Kelly is a Villain, yes he did save a boy from drowning but he killed 3 police man and wounded so many others that i think he is a villain.

11. Ann Aylmer
    August 13, 2013 at 11:58 am (5 years ago)

Well, this is hard one! A lot of people believe that Ned was not given a fair trial and that he was a victim of a vicious system and that Ned only killed in self defence . Maybe he was a victim of his environment , police harassment and that his last wish was that the police set his beloved Mother free as she was jailed for crime she did not commit. So just maybe he was hero, to his Mum at the very least.

12. David Aylmer
    August 13, 2013 at 12:03 pm (5 years ago)

Ned did some good things but lots of bad things – robbed banks, murdered policemen, held 47 people hostage, tried to derail a train full of passengers – definitely a villain!

13. Will Heanue
    August 13, 2013 at 10:10 pm (5 years ago)

From what I have read I believe that Ned Kelly grew up in a poor family who engaged in criminal activity to get by, and, therefore Ned was always going to be a person of interest to the police. Ned and his family probably were harassed by the police but I don’t think this excuses the types of crimes he became involved with. The plotting behind the murder of Aaron Sheritt and the plan to derail the police train to Glenrowan make him a villain in my opinion.

14. Mary Walshe
    August 14, 2013 at 6:41 am (5 years ago)

I think he was a hero because he did’nt really mean too kill and he should have been charged for manslaughter instead of death.

• baker2012
      August 14, 2013 at 8:37 am (5 years ago)

Thanks for your help Mary!

15. Luke Ryan
    August 14, 2013 at 6:59 am (5 years ago)

My opinion is inconclusive because he was recognised for saving Richard Shelton from drowning but he was known to be devious for robbing and killing policemen.

16. Denise Birrell
    August 14, 2013 at 8:57 am (5 years ago)

Well, Angus and Kate’s projects and speeches have certainly taught me more about Ned Kelly than I ever knew before!!!
    So from my initial perspective of Ned Kelly as a ruthless villain and murderer, I have come to learn of the more humane side of this man who saved a drowning boy, was extremely protective and loving toward his mother and siblings and whose motives were to help poor families like his own.
    Whilst we can’t condone his killings , his actions seem to me to be somewhat heroic.

17. Sue Ryan
    August 14, 2013 at 9:42 am (5 years ago)

Ned is not a real villain because when he killed, it was in self defence and for others.

Although, on the other hand, robbing banks and stealing from others are acts of being a villain.

18. baker2012
    August 14, 2013 at 1:02 pm (5 years ago)

Well it seems we are starting to get a few people on the ‘hero’ side of our question.

I’ve decided not to sit on the fence anymore after our DVD today. I now believe Ned Kelly was a hero!

Whilst killing people isn’t the way to go about getting your point across we seem to call people who chose to go to war heroes. Yes, it is true they are fighting for our country but so was Ned. He was fighting for social justice and equality for the poorer Australian settlers who were wronged by both the Government of the time and the police.

Ned had the opportunity to start a full blown war that night in Glenrowan but instead escaped the hotel to tell his army of sympathizers to go home so they wouldn’t end up in the line of fire. At that moment he could also have chosen to ran off and look after himself but instead he stayed loyal to his gang and went back to fight, unlike other bushrangers we have read about!

Whilst Ned Kelly didn’t go about it the right way, I believe he was a social justice advocate of his time who only wanted equality for all and to me that is both brave and heroic!

19. zmolino
    August 15, 2013 at 9:39 am (5 years ago)

i think ned was a villan because he killed 3 people and taking another human life is the worst thing possible.
    this was from stephen.

miss baker stephen does not have a email.

20. nick molino
    August 15, 2013 at 9:41 am (5 years ago)

i think ned was a hero because he saved alot of people from dieing.

21. kathy smurf
    August 15, 2013 at 10:58 am (5 years ago)

I think he is both due to my public speaking He did save lots of people and save Richard Shelton 32 thousand people did sign the paper. Then he did kill lots of people including and the Glenrowan shot out the last stand. And he killed three policeman at Stringybark creek so I think he is both Hero and Villain. 🙂 🙂

22. Georgie Cannata
    August 15, 2013 at 11:11 am (5 years ago)

I think Ned Kelly was a villain because he stole and killed several people. However life in Melbourne in the old days was very difficult. Many people suffered poverty and many of the rich people at the time were not giving to the poor and needy. So in order to survive Ned Kelly stole and gave lots to the poor. But I think killing police officers was a serious crime. Rich people also have the right to feel safe. Maybe committing crimes to survive wasn’t the answer?

23. Paris P
    August 15, 2013 at 11:20 am (5 years ago)

I think that Ned was a hero because he saved a young boy, gave money to the poor and more. I also think Ned was a villain because he killed 3 policemen, robbed people and more. I think he is both.

• baker2012
      August 15, 2013 at 11:47 am (5 years ago)

Hey Paris, thanks for visiting our blog! See you tomz!

24. Christian
    August 15, 2013 at 11:23 am (5 years ago)

ned Kelly is a hero because he saved many people.

My little brother Christian does not have an e-mail

25. Jeff
    August 15, 2013 at 11:43 am (5 years ago)

Ned Kelly is a villain as one should never kill or steal from other people. He could have given money to the poor by working hard instead.

• baker2012
      August 15, 2013 at 11:46 am (5 years ago)

Hi Jeff, thanks for visiting our blog and helping us with our Inquiry!

26. Kathy Smurf
    August 15, 2013 at 12:18 pm (5 years ago)

hi miss b I told Jeff and Paris to comment on the blog 🙂

27. John H
    August 15, 2013 at 10:15 pm (5 years ago)

Although Ned Kelly is regarded as some what of a hero, he was responsible for many serious crimes , including murder and therefore I believe he is a villian

28. ruby8
    August 16, 2013 at 1:51 am (5 years ago)

I believe that Ned Kelly was a hero because Ned gave to the less fortunate families in his community and he tried to help his family.

29. bethany4
    August 16, 2013 at 1:53 am (5 years ago)

I think that Ned Kelly was a hero because he had a poor family and tried to do what was right for everyone.

30. jackblog934
    August 16, 2013 at 2:02 am (5 years ago)

he was NOTHING BUT A VILLIAN

FROM JACK MAN

IM AWESOME

31. katiec10
    August 16, 2013 at 2:03 am (5 years ago)

i think that Ned Kelly was a villian. yes, he was poor. but that is no excuse for robbing and murdering. that was other peoples money he took. he even stole someone’s life.

32. Xav
    August 16, 2013 at 2:04 am (5 years ago)

It think Ned Kelly was hero but he did kill people.

Xavier

33. Totally AWESOME Tereza
    August 16, 2013 at 2:09 am (5 years ago)

I have no idea how to put posts up so I’m going to do my homework HERE!!

Bushrangers HEROES or VILLAINS?

In my opinion Ned Kelly neither heroes or villains. He hasn’t done anything heroic (I believe he has been “romanticisedz”) into a hero. But he isn’t exactly a villain either. He was just desperate and poor. He can’t survive by making his own money so he changed his life to crime. Also many of the people in Australia then were convicts, so stealing hadn’t been a new thing for him.

This is why I believe Ned Kelly (and all bushrangers) are people who chose a life of crime instead of working hard and earning their own money.

34. Totally AWESOME Tereza

soory ignore the first part…
    Mrs Gibbson told us to post this on Miss Bakers blog 😀

35. nick7
    August 16, 2013 at 2:31 am (5 years ago)

Ned kelly is a Hero because he stole from the rich and gave most of it to the poor I know he killed people but he only killed them in self defence and he also needed the money to keep himself and his family alive.
    Thats why I think Ned Kelly is a HERO!!!!

From Nick Cleland

36. bruce beaney
    August 17, 2013 at 1:50 am (5 years ago)

i recon Ned was a hero and Villain because he killed three policemen butt he did save a boy from drowning

37. Mary Jeffs
    August 17, 2013 at 2:32 am (5 years ago)

I feel that Ned Kelly is a man that through circumstances, felt the need to support his family and thus turned to crime to help them in this regard.

He has no excuse for his crimes but times in those days were very difficult. Many people now regard him as a cult hero.

38. Emily Ryan
    August 17, 2013 at 3:03 am (5 years ago)

Ned Kelly did some terrible things in his lifetime but we can not entirely label him as a villain. Yes, he took lives away but his intentions of helping his own family were valid. This does not however, make him a hero, though his bravery and courage are admirable qualities, that we can learn from today.

39. Monique Ryan
    August 17, 2013 at 3:31 am (5 years ago)

In my resent research I have learnt many interesting facts and opinions surrounding Ned Kelly and his historical life. When deciding if this famous bushranger is a hero or villain, there is only one answer for me.

Although, Ned Kelly was continually defending his family and working for social justice I do believe the severe actions he took does not excuse him.
    The seriousness of his robberies and murders are acts that reflect a true villain.
    Whether you have correct intentions while performing such criminal acts, it is fair that he could not be excused. If everyone were allowed to act in such violent and unjust ways, our country would not be a safe and fair home.

In my believes, I think a less severe penalty would have been sufficient. Ned Kelly did not go out in a memorable way.

40. Giulia brugliera
    August 17, 2013 at 9:13 am (5 years ago)

I think Ned Kelly was a villain because he broke the law, and killed and harmed people.

41. Georgia Beardsley
    August 17, 2013 at 11:53 am (5 years ago)

I believe that Ned Kelly did do some good things but on the other hand he did kill innocent people and break the law so therefore i do believe he was a villan.

42. Bryan Mueller
    August 18, 2013 at 1:12 am (5 years ago)

I think that Ned Kelly is neither a hero or a villain because sometimes there is both good and bad in what people do. Ned Kelly did some bad things but he thought there were good reasons for doing them, like helping his family and friends who were not getting a fair go from the government and the police.

43. Francesca Coloretti
    August 18, 2013 at 3:36 am (5 years ago)

I believe that Ned Kelly is a true villian. Although he saved a young boy from drowning, he committed crimes including stealing and murder.

44. Luke Hayward
    August 18, 2013 at 6:18 am (5 years ago)

Ned Kelly is generally considered a villain, but in other cases people would consider him a hero, it just depends on what perspective you take.

I’d say he is looked upon in a heroic way for fighting the justice system and showing courage, strength and a ability to resist laws through making his own lifestyle, with separate beliefs, attitudes and values.

On the flip-side, the police saw him as a dangerous individual, especially when combined with his gang, who looted banks, intercepted trade goods on their transportation routes and killed numerous people with little reasoning. Ned was a wanted criminal and there was a large sum of money put out as a bounty.

45. Charlotte Hayward
    August 18, 2013 at 7:26 am (5 years ago)

I believe ned Kelly’s a hero because he helped those that were less fortunate even though it did mean stealing from the rich I believe that he had the best intentions

46. Jade Smarrelli
    August 18, 2013 at 8:14 am (5 years ago)

I think Ned Kelly is a villain because he broke the law by doing so many horrible things that he shouldn’t have done. Jade (Lara’a Auntie)

47. Maurice Smarrelli
    August 18, 2013 at 8:17 am (5 years ago)

I strongly believe that Ned Kelly is a villain because he killed 3 police man and another boy. This defenetily isn’t something that a hero would do so that’s why Ned is a villain.

48. Ruby George
    August 18, 2013 at 9:20 am (5 years ago)

To me I think that Ned Kelly is a hero and villan because he saved a boy from drowning and helped his family and many more in poverty even if he did steal it was not from the poor it was from the rich and he didn’t Lille the three police the other group members did too and then poor old Ned gets the blame. The reason why I think he is also a villan is because he put people’s lives in danger like at the last stand when he had all the people hostage and the police started to shoot at the kelly gang and killed little kids in the hotel.

By Ruby George

49. Jemuttai mueller
    August 18, 2013 at 9:52 am (5 years ago)

I think ned Kelly is a more a hero than a villain because he saved a boys life but her did also stole and robed from the rich and banks by most this money he gave to the poor .

50. Josie Roker
    August 18, 2013 at 10:23 am (5 years ago)

I think Ned Kelly was a villain.

Yes, he saved a boy from drowning. But most of all he shot 3 policemen and was always taking things for himself.